ESSS Journalism Club: Fion Tioh (3N2).
We journalists make it a point to know very little about an
extremely wide variety of topics; this is how we stay objective.
” - Dave Barry.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Racial Harmony Day.

Racial Harmony Day falls on 21st July, which is today. Our school, East Spring Secondary is celebrating it differently from the past few years. This year, students could come to school, wearing their traditional costumes. Our secondary ones and threes set up booths during recess.

One of our students, Shahirah from class 4E3 shared with us about her thoughts on Racial Harmony Day.

How do you feel about Racial Harmony?
I feel that it's a very good celebration as it makes us realize how important it is for the races to live in harmony.

What do you think about your schoolmates wearing ethnic costumes?
I think that it is very funny-looking because it's my very first time seeing them wearing their own ethnic costumes.

Do you feel proud wearing your own traditional costume?
Yes, I do feel proud wearing it in school today as it displays my race and culture.

Do you enjoy Racial Harmony day?
Yes, I enjoy Racial Harmony Day very much because I can learn and understand more about other races.

Are you taking part in any activities tomorrow? (Mask painting, amazing race.)
No, because we have to study for our O Levels.


One of our teachers, Mr Azuan Tan also shared us his thoughts.

How do you feel about ESSS Racial Harmony Day?
I think that Racial harmony is very important for our country because of our Racial Demographics.

What do you think about students wearing their ethnic costumes?
I think it represents what ns are all about because many of them don traiditional costumes that might or might not be their culture or tradition. Therefore, showing that Singaporeans embrace each other's culture and are able to live, work & play harmoniously with one another.

Did you enjoy the stalls setup in the canteen?
Yes I certainly enjoy it mainly because of the vibrancy shown by the respective classes and the energy level was very high.

Which stall you enjoy the most?
I enjoyed 3E4's. Because their stalls were enable to sell local delicacies that shows the true spirit what Racial Harmony is all about.

How much do you know about Racial Harmony?
Enough. Racial Harmony was celebrated because it's important for Singaporeans to remember the past and not repeating the mistakes that arise from the Civil Strive that occurred decades ago. Remembering this day is very important because we are in a precarious situation and we shouldn't let this past mistakes come up again, or else we would suffer.

Did you enjoy Racial Harmony?
Of course. Overall, I enjoyed it. It was really delightful seeing all my students embracing each other's cultures and traditions. Showing that East Springians are racially harmonious lot.

Thus, Racial Harmony is important for everyone to remember the past and not repeat mistakes.

No comments: